Friday, August 17, 2012

Interview with the new Junior Record Librarian at the SABC Record Library



Image Sibuyi is a new appointment at the SABC Media Libraries.

This is part of an ongoing series of blog posts to gain a better understanding of the SABC Record Library, as well as part of a series of blog posts about the SABC Media Libraries. The interviews are generating a better understanding of what we do in the different sections and breaking the silos between us.

The interview this week is with Image Sibuyi, a new Junior Record Librarian in the SABC Record Library, who started to work here on 14 May this year.

The Record Library houses all genres of recorded music. The music is regularly accessed by staff and made available to internal clients.

Please tell us a little bit about yourself. (Where you grew up, where and what you studied and your work experience before you joined the SABC Record Library)

I was born and raised in Buckbuckridge (Mpumalanga) in the village of Cork Trust, near the town of Hazyview . I started school in 1994 at Mkhumbini Primary School and matriculated in 2005 at Dumisani High School. Due to financial reasons in 2006 I was unable to enroll in a tertiary institution. 
I went to the University of Limpopo, Turfloop Campus, in 2007 and enrolled for the Bachelor of commerce in Business Management and Human Resource Management which I successfully completed in 2009. 
In 2010 I enrolled for a Higher Diploma in information Studies (HDINF) which I completed the same year. 
During the academic year 2010, as part of a practicum course, I had to attend practicals for four weeks at the Library of my choice. I chose the SABC Media Library in Polokwane. Fortunately during my practicals I could apply for an internship at SABC Mpumalanga.  
 I was successfully appointed as a Record Librarian intern from 01 February 2011 until 31 March 2012. 
During my last week of internship I applied for the Junior Record Library post. I was successful in my application and started to work in May 2012.

Tell us more about your collection and the scope of material you need to preserve in the record library.

In the Record Library we believe that music or sound/s never die or expire. We preserve all kinds of physical CD music genres (House, Rock, RNB, Hip Hop, Classic, etc.), from old to the latest, of which are played by all of the SABC Radio Stations. 
Most importantly we require copyright information. 
We also keep mood music and sound effects which are used by radio and television personnel.

Please tell us about a normal day in your office. What music do you give priority to?

I do the capturing of music which requires the copyright information from SAMRO such as title, performer, record label, composer, and publisher, etc.  I liaise with the other SABC regions to avoid duplications. I also advise clients with regards the registering of copyright information and how to make it visible on the physical CD. I also help out at the front desk service with issuing and returning of CDs.

Do you struggle with technical difficulties, and if so, what?

The music industry is migrating to digital. The SABC  Record Library are facing challenges in terms of the recording companies who are cutting costs on sampling physical CDs for us, especially of the international music. 
Luckily we have a very reliable computerized library system.

Tell us why you enjoy doing the work that you do. 

First of all I love working for the one of the biggest Broadcast Corporations. It comes with pride and joy. 
Ever since I join the SABC I have developed an interest in music. The capturing of music entails listening to music before capturing, so I enjoy “dancing with my head” while doing my work. 
I also enjoy helping artists with the information of registering their music.


Related posts:

Interview with the Manager of the SABC Record Library

Interview with a Record Librarian at the SABC Record Library: Sound effects and moods music

Interview with Aaron Magoro at SABC Radio Archives

Interview with a Systems Administrator at the SABC Record Library



Questions and blog post by Karen du Toit, Afrikaans Archivist in the SABC Radio Archives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome any feedback and comments!